Vapor Intrusion Mitigation
Protect Indoor Air Quality from Harmful Chemical Vapors
Vapor intrusion mitigation protects a structure from vapors produced by subsurface chemical contamination in the ground below.
It shields your occupants’ health.
What is vapor intrusion?
Vapor intrusion occurs when chemicals in soil or groundwater migrate out of the ground to contaminate indoor air in a structure above. These vapors may include:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Semi-volatile organic compounds
- Inorganics, such as mercury or hydrogen sulfide
Typically, vapors enter a structure by way of its foundation, through cracks from settling, gaps around plumbing and utility lines, or even through the pores of the concrete itself.
What’s the danger of vapor Intrusion?
Vapor intrusion poses a risk for anyone breathing the contaminated air. Health risks can be immediate or long term depending on the chemicals, the vapor concentration, the amount of ventilation, and how much time people are exposed. In rare cases, vapor buildup from chemicals such as gasoline can create a risk of explosion.
Because of these dangers, vapor intrusion is a significant environmental issue that has become a matter of concern for regulators as well as real estate developers, insurance carriers, building owners, and structure occupants and residents.
How to mitigate vapor Intrusion
CETCO offers a suite of sub-slab vapor intrusion barrier systems comprised of membranes, geomembranes, geotextile reinforcing, protection layers, drainage, and venting components.
|Membranes||Geomembranes||Geotextile reinforcing||Protection layers||Drainage components||Venting components|
LIQUID BOOT Plus
LIQUID BOOT LT
LIQUID BOOT 500
|VI-20||BASEFABRIC T-40 and T-60||ULTRASHIELD G-800 and G-1000||ULTRADRAIN 6200||GEOVENT|
Elements of premier vapor intrusion barrier systems
With over 50 million square feet of successful installations, CETCO vapor intrusion barrier systems are proven protection from dangerous subsurface chemical vapors for hospitals, schools, libraries, high-rise commercial and residential buildings, multi-family housing developments, and major public works projects worldwide.
Critical elements for successful and long-lasting vapor intrusion mitigation include:
- Unique formulation for reliable protection from methane, VOCs, and water vapor
- Fully-adhered system to reduce the risk of uncontrolled gas migration
- Monolithic composition to eliminate potential for seam failures
- Spray application - for numerous advantages over thin-mil and sheet systems, including:
- Tough and flexible barrier, even at low temperatures
- Effective penetration sealing
- No mechanical fastening
- Installation in a range of climates
- Lower diffusion properties
- Superior tensile elongation and bond strengths
- Economical installation
- Long-term, dependable performance
CETCO Quality Assurance
CETCO is the leader and pioneer in cutting-edge environmental products and solutions. Around the globe, our innovative teams of clay mineralogists, chemists, and polymer scientists transform ordinary minerals into extraordinary technology to solve day-to-day problems worldwide.
- Brochure: Environmental Products Overview 4358 KB
- Case Study: 500 Fifth Avenue Seattle 930 KB
- Case Study: Alamitos Ridge Housing Development - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 193 KB
- Case Study: Buffalo Wild Wings - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 163 KB
- Case Study: Canada Post Headquarters - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 168 KB
- Case Study: Chick-Fil-A - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 178 KB
- Case Study: Droyers Point Multi-Family Housing Development - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 167 KB
- Case Study: Film Processing Facility - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 163 KB
- Case Study: Hamlet Middle School - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 167 KB
- Case Study: Hollywood Casino - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 179 KB
- Case Study: Housing Development on Former Landfill - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 176 KB
- Case Study: Lowe's - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 122 KB
- Case Study: Mott Haven School - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 165 KB
- Case Study: Multi-Family Housing Project on Former Superfund Site Contaminated with PCE, Metals, Arsenic 174 KB
- Case Study: Palisades Multi-Family Housing Development - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 164 KB
- Case Study: Pan American Games Athletes Village - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 164 KB
- Case Study: Rite Aid - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 168 KB
- Case Study: Sienna Place Homes - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 168 KB
- Case Study: Smith Performing Arts Center - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 175 KB
- Case Study: Spring Hill Suites - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 168 KB
- Case Study: TCE Contamination - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 173 KB
- Case Study: Toronto Fire Services - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 170 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: VI-20 Geomembrane 331 KB